Research by Heat Insulation suggests that 51% of homeowners regularly tip tradespeople, whereas the other 49% refuse.
The people who are most likely to tip tradespeople are those aged between 45-64 and the least likely are 18-29-year olds, which on face-value may simply be down to disposable income. However, when those aged 18-29 who said they would not tip were asked why, the vast majority said it is because tradespeople charge more than enough.
A total of 245 homeowners were surveyed across the UK and the survey was aimed at understanding whether people tip tradespeople. The main reasons given for not tipping tradespeople; It costs enough; The price is agreed before work commences; Good work should be expected and not rewarded.
Ricky Swann, MD of Heat Insulation, conducted the survey as he often hears of tradespeople on both sides, those being tipped and others saying they have never been tipped. He had this to say: “I’ve personally never heard of one of my staff being tipped, or they haven’t told me! But I know they can get upset when they hear of other tradesmen getting tipped. It’s quite a controversial subject and although it’s nice to hear people get a tip as it often makes them happy, I don’t honestly believe anyone should expect it. A job is quoted and that is what a customer should pay.”
In addition to the main survey, Ricky also asked tradespeople who he works with for their opinion, and one person who wishes to remain anonymous said: “there are so many cowboys out there that I think rewarding someone who delivers what they promise or goes above-and-beyond is the right thing to do.”
In contrast to the above, another respondent said: “I’ve only been offered a handful of tips in my 20+ years as a plumber and I have never accepted them. When I quote for a job, I know how much profit I need to make and factor that in. I always ensure I do a good job because I would love them to choose me again in the future or recommend me to family and friends, not because they may tip me.”
What are your thoughts on tipping? Email the editor firstname.lastname@example.org